FOOD SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
ISO 22000:2005 is a new International Standards designed to ensure the safety of food supply chains worldwide while applying HACCP programe, in addition to the harmonized applicable QMS and prerequisite program.
ISO 22000 specifies a Food Safety Management System that include interactive communication between supplier and producers and customers. It answered the growing demand for the certification of suppliers and gives more attention to quality aspects. The standard is applicable to all organizations directly or indirectly involved in one of the stages, related to the food chain, intending implementing a management system that would guarantee food safety for consumers. Various companies, from seed producers, meat or milk processors, etc., to food transportation companies and even retailers, private food unit or equipment manufactures for the food industry can successfully apply ISO 22000:2005, "Food Safety Management Systems - Requirements for any organization in food industry".
ISO 22001:2005 – HACCP Food Safety – Food Quality ISO 22000:2005-The standard identifies the issues that could create danger for food safety and stipulates these obligations:
- Forming a HACCP system.
- Building-up a new management system.
- Good manufacturing Practises (Pre-requisite programmes)
- Interactive communication in the supply chain.
The obligations are meant to be shared from the farmer in the field to the transporting and warehousing operators and finally to the retailers and restaurants to their suppliers. It has a generic characteristic as the standard has a broad range without regarding organisation size and complexity.
The Benefits of implementing ISO 22001
- A preventative approach to food safety
- Can help identify process improvements & reduced customer complaints
- Reduces the need for, and the cost of end product testing
- Is complementary to quality management systems such as ISO 9001
- Provides evidence of due diligence & reduces the likelihood of product recall & adverse publicity
- Enhances customer satisfaction / reduces dissatisfaction
- Facilitates better understanding of food packaging safety issues throughout the organisation Improves staff performance through the promotion of team spirit & improves staff morale and motivation through a cleaner working environment.
- A clear, auditable, global standard providing a framework to bring together all parts of your Food Safety Management System (FSMS) Demonstrates commitment to customer satisfaction
- Tests compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and your own systems through internal audits and management reviews
- Improves internal and external communications
- Improves your organisation's image